APPLICATION TO BE A L.U.K.E.W.A.R.M. Initiative POTENTIAL ADOPTIVE FAMILY
PLEASE COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION TOGETHER AS HUSBAND & WIFE or as an INDIVIDUAL POTENTIAL ADOPTIVE PARENT (this form was created with a husband and wife applicant couple in mind, but can be adapted for an individual parent applicant).
Family member’s names/current ages:
Husband: / Wife: /
Children (if any):
Have you prayed together as a married couple (and also as a family if you have children), daily for at least 40 days about this decision? Yes____ NO____
If no, please do so before continuing with this application.
What did you experience during and/or after your minimum of 40 days of prayer together?
What are 7 reasons why you are applying to be your church’s potential adoptive family? (no order)
Have you both read the LUKEWARM Initiative main ‘core’ document and the LUKEWARM Initiative Potential Adoptive Families document fully and completely? Yes ____ No____
Do you both commit to the ‘12 Articles of Christian Family Faith’?
Yes ____ No____
If you checked No for either of these, please do so, so that you can check Yes, before continuing with this application.
Page 2 of 5
How many other couples, who have adopted or provided long-term foster care to children, have you communicated to about their experiences? _______
What are a few of the most important things that you learned from them?
Describe what it is like for you to have to ask someone else for help when life is difficult and overwhelming.
Why will you be willing to ask for help and support from your LUKEWARM Initiative ‘24/7 Family’?
How long have each of you been in favor of adopting a child?
Have you explored through prayer each spouse’s level of investment in this journey? Yes___ No___
With your current life the way it is, do you have the time and energy to adopt a child into your family who could potentially have or develop unforeseen struggles and difficulties? Thoughts:
Page 3 of 5
Are you planning to adopt through the foster care system, or domestically/nationally, or internationally?
What will that cost? $
Do you have the financial income and stability to support an additional child in your family? Yes___ NO___
Do you believe that you are obedient to God in your financial stewardship/use of resources He has given you? Thoughts:
Do you both commit to daily praying together whenever it is possible (over the phone if necessary) for your marriage, your family, your adopted child, and the church family and ‘24/7 Family’ who will also be committed to praying for you? Yes___ No ___
Do you both commit to asking your ‘24/7 Family’ for help and support when you need it to do well at loving your adopted child and family? Yes___ No___
What are some things that your ‘24/7 Family’ can help support you with?
Page 4 of 5
Do you both commit to each of the following statements, as true?
(Please both ‘initial’ to the left of each ‘bullet point’ statement you are committed to):
· We support and agree to uphold the ‘12 Articles of Christian Family Faith.’
· We commit to strengthening and honoring the marital covenant we made to each other and to God, with God at the center of that covenant, “until death do us part.”
· We have been regularly, actively attending and involved in our church for at least the past 2 years prior to completing the application (eg. today if signing this today).
· We have previously, and now continually seek to demonstrate Christian faithfulness as evidenced by our active desire to serve God and love people, and we will be committed to always growing spiritually as evidenced by our active interest in prayer, Bible learning, and Christian service in the name of Jesus.
· We commit to meeting with our ‘point person’ or church leader or leaders monthly, for a year after being accepted by the church as the LUKEWARM Initiative family for that year, for accountability & support in Christian spiritual growth through prayer, Bible learning, and active Christian growth as a humble, patient, forgiving, consistent, loving adoptive parents in training.
· We commit to reading the book, ‘Orphan Justice’, by Johnny Carr and discussing it with each other and with our church’s LUKEWARM Initiative ‘point person.’
· We commit to sharing our story of being adopted by God, through Jesus’ grace (how we love Him because He first loved us), and how Jesus has influenced our choice to adopt a child into our Christian home.
· We commit to continuing to be an active part of the church family in the years following the adoption to maintain the stability and support we need (although this is not a requirement due to the possibility of unforeseen job transfers, family emergencies, and other possibly valid and important reasons to move away from the community and church).
· We have read and understand, fully and completely, both the main (long) ‘core’ LUKEWARM Initiative document and the Potential Adoptive Families document.
Page 5 of 5
What are the biggest areas in which I will have to work to depend on God as I grow and mature to be a good adoptive parent? (eg. anger, emotional awareness/connecting, areas of sin or selfishness, obedience to God, humility, prayer, Bible learning, specific things about my relationship with Jesus and/or my spouse…)
By signing below, I attest before God and my spouse and church that all the information provided is true and accurate.
Date Application was submitted to church’s LUKEWARM Initiative ‘point person.’
(For church notes only below)
Date Application was received by church’s LUKEWARM Initiative ‘point person’: _________ Notes: